Eggplant and Chickpea Rice Bowl
SERVES 4 | FINISH IN 40 minutes
Our Eggplant and Chickpea Rice Bowl recipe features roasted eggplant, cherry tomatoes, and chickpeas, complemented by cumin-scented yogurt, lime, and a dollop of Sky Valley Sambal Oelek. Enjoy a burst of nourishment and flavor in every bite.
Sambal Oelek, Spicy, Middle Eastern, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 1 c. Rice
- 2 c. Water
- 1 Medium Eggplant, ends trimmed, cut into ½- to 1-inch cubes
- 1 (19-oz.) can Chickpeas, drained
- 1 p. Cherry or Grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- ½ c. Yogurt or Vegan Yogurt
- 2 tsp. Cumin
- 1 Lemon, sliced into wedges
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. Sky Valley Sambal Oelek, for serving
- Cook rice in a saucepan. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place cubed eggplant, chickpeas, and tomatoes on the lined baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil evenly over the ingredients and quickly toss them to distribute the oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over the mixture and toss again. Roast on the center rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes until tender and lightly browned, tossing once around the 15-minute mark.
- While vegetables are roasting, add cumin to bowl with vegan or regular yogurt. Season with salt and lemon juice from 1-2 wedges. Whisk to combine, taste and correct seasonings.
- To assemble the bowl, layer ¼ cup rice. Top with ¼ of the vegetables. Top with 1-2 tbsp. cumin-yogurt, and 1-2 tsp. Sky Valley Sambal Oelek. Sprinkle with diced cilantro.
- Serve Eggplant and Chickpea Rice Bowl immediately, with more lemon wedges on the side.