General Tso’s Chicken Nuggets with Rice Recipe
SERVES 4 | FINISH IN 25 minutes
Classic General Tso’s chicken nuggets with rice are a sweet and spicy mix of ginger and soy-marinated chicken thighs, coated and fried to take-out perfection! Served with rice and scallions, this homemade meal will rival any restaurant version.
- 1lb. Chicken Thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into 1-in. pieces
- ½ c. Cornstarch
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 c. Oil (Vegetable or Canola), for frying
- 1 tbsp. Ginger, minced
- ½ tsp. Red Chili Flakes
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- ⅓ c. Sky Valley General Tso Sauce
- Rice, for serving
- 2 Scallions, chopped, for serving
- Sesame Seeds, for serving
- Whisk together cornstarch, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss well to combine, until all the pieces are well coated.
- Fill a large pot with tall rims with oil – a Dutch Oven or another heavy-bottomed pot would be ideal. Set the pot to medium heat and wait until the oil has sufficiently heated through (your oil should bubble if you throw in a bit of the cornstarch batter, or a drop of water).
- Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, fry the coated chicken nuggets until golden on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove cooked chicken from the pan, and transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Let the oil cool and pour out the majority of the oil from the pan, leaving only about 1-2 tbsp. of oil in it (alternatively, you can also add 1-2 tbsp. of fresh oil to a new pan).
- Preheat the pan to medium heat. Add minced ginger, garlic and chili flakes to the pan, and let them cook for 1 minute. Add Sky Valley General Tso sauce to the pan, then add cooked chicken nuggets. Stir well to coat all the pieces in the sauce. Let cook for 1 minute.
- Serve General Tso Chicken immediately, topped with diced scallions and sesame seeds, and accompanied by rice.
Review this Recipe