Quick & Easy Gado Gado Recipe
SERVES 8 | FINISH IN 2 hours 50 minutes
Gado Gado is an elaborate Indonesian vegetarian dish that is a composed mix of green beans, potatoes, marinated tofu and a whole lot more. Thanks to ready-made Sky Valley Sambal Oelek, this legendary main course becomes a whole lot easier!
For Marinated Tofu:
- 1 Tofu Package, firm or extra-firm
- 4 tbsp. Soy Sauce or Tamari Sauce
- 3 tbsp. Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Sky Valley® Sambal Oelek Sauce
- 1-3 tbsp. water, as needed
For Peanut Satay Sauce:
- ½ cup Peanut Butter, unsweetened and chunky
- 2 tbsp. Soy Sauce or Tamari Sauce
- 2 tbsp. Agave Syrup or Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp. Lime Juice
- 3-4 tsp. Sky Valley® Sambal Oelek Sauce
- ½ cup coconut milk
For Gado Gado Salad:
- 2 medium (or 8 small) Potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup Purple Cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Green Beans
- 1 cup Bean Sprouts
- 2 (or 1 medium) Lebanese Cucumbers, sliced on the diagonal
- 4 Eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and quartered
- ¼ cup Peanuts, chopped
- 3 tbsp Cilantro Leaves, for serving
- 2 tbsp Crisp Fried Shallots, for serving (optional)
- Lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- Cover a cutting board with a paper towel. Place the tofu block on a paper towel, cover with an additional paper towel, and weigh down with a cutting board topped with a few cans. This will help press out the water from the tofu. Let pressed tofu sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Cut tofu into cubes or triangles.
- In a square or rectangular bowl, mix marinade from soy, rice vinegar, hot sauce and water. Soak tofu slices in marinade, covered with plastic wrap or lid, overnight (or at least a few hours).
- Preheat a large non-stick pan to medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil. Add tofu with marinade and fry for 2-3 minutes on one side. Turn tofu over to the other side and fry for an additional 2-3 minutes, until tofu pieces are golden.
- In a saucepan, combine satay peanut sauce ingredients. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir often. Thin with water if needed – you should be able to drizzle the sauce. Keep sauce warm or reheat if making in advance.
- Fill a large pot with water, and bring to a boil. Blanch vegetables for Gado Gado in the following order: blanch potatoes for 10 minutes, green beans for 4 minutes, cabbage for 2 minutes, and bean sprouts for 1 minute. Set vegetables aside in groups and keep warm, or reheat if made in advance.
- On a large serving platter or a large cutting board, arrange all the cooked vegetables, sliced cucumbers, the tofu, and eggs in clumps. Generously spoon with warm Peanut Satay Sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro, chopped peanuts, crispy fried shallots (if using) and more Sky Valley Sambal Oelek Chili Paste. Serve warm.