Spicy Lentil Bolognese Recipe
SERVES 6 | FINISH IN 45 minutes
This spicy lentil Bolognese is filled with mushrooms and thyme and bursting with big, bold flavors. Served atop spaghetti, this is the perfect vegetarian or vegan comfort food for cooler temperatures!
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 c. Lentils, rinsed
- 1 lb. Cremini Mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Thyme
- 1 ½ c. Fresh Tomatoes, diced OR 1 can (15 oz.) Diced Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Sky Valley® Sriracha Sauce
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Pepper
- 1 package of Spaghetti, or any Pasta of your choice
- ½ c. Diced Parsley, for topping
- Parmesan Cheese, optional, for topping
- Set a large pot or Dutch oven on medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add diced onion, and sauté until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add lentils and bay leaf and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- To pot with lentils, add mushrooms. Increase heat to medium and let cook for 5 minutes. Add thyme leaves and cook for another minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, red wine vinegar, Sky Valley® Sriracha Sauce, and 1 teaspoon of salt to the pot.
- Cook Lentil Bolognese for 10-12 minutes, stirring often, until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- While lentils are cooking, prepare spaghetti according to package instructions.
- Serve lentil Bolognese atop spaghetti, and sprinkle with diced parsley and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Review this Recipe