Vegetable Pho Recipe
SERVES 4 | FINISH IN 1 hour
Vegetable Pho is filled with bright spices and fresh flavors. Serve this pho with rice noodles, mushrooms, soft-boiled eggs, and Sky Valley Sriracha Sauce.
- 3 star anise
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 large white onion, peeled and halved
- 4-inch piece of fresh ginger, halved lengthwise
- 4 c. vegetable broth
- 4 c. mushroom broth
- 1 tbsp. coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- 8 oz. thin rice noodles
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 8 oz. mixed mushrooms (shiitake, enoki, etc.)
- 4 soft-boiled eggs
- Julienned carrot
- Thinly sliced scallions and/or fresh cilantro
- Sky Valley Sriracha
- To make broth, heat a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the star anise, cloves, cinnamon sticks and cardamom and toast for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and toasted. Add the onion, ginger, both types of broth, coconut sugar, soy sauce and salt. Stir well and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes (or up to a few hours for more flavor).
- Strain the broth into a separate pot and discard the spices/onion/ginger.
- Meanwhile, cook rice noodles according to package directions.
- In a separate pot, bring a few inches of water to a boil. For soft-boiled eggs, boil for about 7 minutes, then immediately transfer to ice cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Heat sesame oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add mushrooms and sauté until browned (about 8 minutes).
- Ladle broth into a bowl, add cooked rice noodles, mushrooms, soft-boiled eggs, carrot, fresh herbs and Sky Valley Sriracha.
Review this Recipe