Vietnamese Style Eggs Benedict
SERVES 2 | FINISH IN 1 day 30 minutes
In these Vietnamese-inspired Eggs Benedict, poached eggs nestle into a lightly toasted Bao Bun, along with tangy pickled greens, and are topped with a spicy hollandaise sauce with Green Sriracha. A spicy and zesty take on Eggs Benedict that draws inspiration from Vietnamese flavors and turns them into a breakfast treat.
For pickled mustard greens:
- 2 lb Large Head Of Gai Choi (Asian Mustard Greens), Napa Cabbage or Bok Choy
- 4 cups Water
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- ½ tbsp Vinegar
For Eggs benedict:
- 2 Bao Buns, steamed
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 tbsp Water
- 2 tbsp Butter, Melted
- 3 ½ tsp Sky Valley®Green Sriracha, Or More, To Taste
- 2-3 Thai Basil Leaves
- A day before you plan to eat the eggs benedict, make the Vietnamese pickled greens.
- Wash the greens well, and let dry fully. Cut into 1-inch thick strips. Stuff in a 1-liter clean sterilized jar.
- In a large pot combine water, salt, sugar, and ½ tbsp of vinegar. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat.
- Pour the pickling liquid into the jar until the mustard greens are fully submerged. Cover loosely with cheesecloth and a weight, to ensure the greens stay within the liquid, or close the lid lightly without screwing it on. Leave on the countertop or in a warm place (like the oven with the light on) for 24 hours, tasting occasionally. When the greens are sufficiently pickled, remove the weight, seal the lid and transfer to the fridge.
- Toast the Bao buns for 5 minutes in an oven set to grill or 400F. Set aside.
- Set a bain marie on the stovetop (a bowl set inside a saucepan filled with water, without touching the bottom of the bowl). Add 2 egg yolks and water, and whisk until frothy. Continuing whisking constantly, slowly add melted butter to egg yolks and whisk until the hollandaise sauce is fully emulsified and thick and yellow. Whisk in 2 tsps Sky Valley®Green Sriracha.
- Bring another pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tbsp vinegar. Lower the heat to medium, and whisk the water well until a whirlpool is created. Lift the whisk out of the water, and immediately add in egg. Poach for 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove egg out of the water. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Top toasted Bao buns with poached egg. Top with a couple of tablespoons of pickled mustard greens, a generous serving of Sky Valley®Green Sriracha Hollandaise, a few additional drizzles of Sky Valley®Green Sriracha, and 2-3 Thai basil leaves.
- Serve immediately.
Review this Recipe