Vietnamese Vegan Banh Mi Sandwich
SERVES 4 | FINISH IN 1 hour 20 minutes
In this vegan Banh Mi sandwich, French bread gets topped with a tempeh in a Sriracha marinade, quick-pickled carrots and daikon radish, cilantro, jalapenos and cucumbers, all drizzled with a touch of Sriracha.
For Pickled Vegetables:
- 2 medium Carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 large Daikon Radish, peeled and julienned
- 1 ½ cups Water
- ½ cup White Sugar
- 4 tsp Salt
- ¾ cup Rice Wine Vinegar
For Marinated Tempeh:
- 1 package Tempeh, cut into 1/2 -inch slices
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 4 tbsp Tamari Or Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sky Valley®Sriracha
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 large French Baguette
- 6 tbsp Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Sky Valley® Sriracha, and more, to taste
- 1.5 cups Fresh Cilantro
- 2 Lebanese Cucumbers, sliced into rings
- 4 Green Onions, sliced into rings
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, thinly sliced (optional, to taste)
- Make the pickled veggies a couple of hours before you plan to make the Banh Mi,
- In a saucepan combine water, salt, sugar, and rice wine vinegar. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat.
- Stuff julienned carrots and daikon radish into a 1-liter clean sterilized jar. Pour the pickling liquid into the jar until the veggies are fully submerged. Set aside for 1 hour to pickle lightly – veggies should have a tang but still retain some texture and crunch. The pickled veggies can be kept in the fridge for 4 days.
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Add the tempeh slices to a bowl, submerge into the marinade, and set aside for 30 minutes, turning the tempeh over onto the other side halfway through.
- Bring a small pan to medium heat. Transfer tempeh slices, and saute until golden brown on both sides, about 5 mins per side.
- Cut the baguette into 4 parts.
- Mix half the mayonnaise with 1 tsp of Sky Valley® Sriracha. Stir well to combine.
- Spread a layer of vegan mayonnaise on one side of the baguette. Top the other side with the Sky Valley® Sriracha mayonnaise.
- Layer in the tempeh slices, cucumber slices and green onion slices. Top with pickled veggies and fresh coriander leaves and sprigs. Add jalapeno slices, to taste. Drizzle with more Sky Valley® Sriracha.
- Close the Banh Mi, and serve immediately.
Review this Recipe